A permit is required to keep chickens in the City of Veneta on lots less than one acre in size in the Single Family Residential, General Residential, and Residential - Commercial Zoning Districts.
Please contact the Planning Department about Backyard Chicken Permit regulations. Permits are $25 and are required to be renewed after three years. Generally, keeping chickens shall be in accordance with the following:
- No more than one chicken for each one thousand five hundred (1,500) square feet of lot area, up to a maximum of ten chickens in the Single Family Residential zone, General Family Residential zone, and Residential Commercial zone.
- No chickens are allowed on properties occupied by multi-family housing, including duplexes.
- Roosters are prohibited.
- Chickens shall be secure in a coop or chicken run or in a securely fenced backyard at all times including during non-daylight hours and during daylight hours.
- A building permit is required for a chicken coop more than 200 square feet in size.
- Additional regulations apply to chicken coops and runs.